The word " Mor" derives from the German muor / mor and stands for a swampy landscape just like its high German pendant Moor . This part of the word refers to the first settlement of Morlautern in the so-called Hagelgrundtal. The second part of the word refers to the former name of the present-day Eselsbach ( Morluter , of Lutehara : clear water). The name changed from Morluter via Morlutra , Moorlautern and Mohrlautern to today's Morlautern.
Morlautern is located about 1.5 km north of Kaiserslautern. During the district of Waschmühle (known by the " Waschmühle " swimming pool ) along the Eselsbach in the valley, the village center of Morlautern and the district of Waldhof are located on a small plateau at an altitude of about 320 meters.
Morlautern was first documented in 1215 by Friedrich II (HRR) . As a "farm with forest in Morluter" belonged to the possession of the Premonstratensian monastery in Kaiserslautern.
In Morlautern there is a lively social life. The largest association is the club of Morlautern with nearly 1000 members and a varied sports offer. The Sportverein Morlautern (SVM) has many teams in the youth and school area. Other large associations are the Morlauterer Ortsgruppe of the Pfälzerwald-Verein , the Gesangverein, the country women, the riding and driving club, the Tennisclub (TCM) as well as many smaller clubs. The larger clubs are united in the club ring. This organizes, among other things, the annual Dorffest. The proceeds are intended for the youth work of the clubs or for projects in the village.